Who's online

There are currently 1 user and 14 guests online.

Online users

Social software - how we can improved this network and website.

As per Gini's suggestion, here's a post to start a discussion on the development of a 'network of performing rights'.

SUGGESTED TOOLS:

• RSS feed for all new content (V important) + make other feeds available.
  • List of events / things happening.
  • News-list with auto subscription (Pretty important)
  • Digg or del.icio.us type functionality so its super easy to add links to the site.
  • Introduce other people to the site & get them to contribute to this discussion.
  • Aggregated content (other websites publish information which you can automatically 'pull in' to display the latest information on the web).
  • Ability to add video from many sources: www.blip.tv, youtube, googlevideo, uploaded.

DESIGN IMPROVEMENTS

• I think the site needs to be simplified, reflecting a common sense of purpose.
  • Clearer information design (I feel that people are unsure why they should engage - perhaps a whole new topic on this...)
  • Main menu links need to be more pronounced (after not visiting the site for while it took me ages to find the forum/discussion area)
  • General usability of design - I think things feel hidden, you have to really work to find stuff.

GENERAL

• Need a clearer sense of where this going - what can a collaborative effort achieve? Why are we doing this?
  • Review of library tags - how are we categorising things? Does it hinder or does it help?
  • Review: Text, Images, Link. I'm not sure these are the right words to use, why not: Blogs, Gallery, Links

P.S. email notification of replies to posts was turned off due to an error with that module sending way too many emails....
P.P.S Interesting article on participation and social software, def worth reading.

--

><> Tom [artist/programmer/designer]
><> www.theanthillsocial.co.uk

login to post comments | 325 reads
hellooo should we have an

hellooo

should we have an area where we can discus what we think worked well and what didn't? and perhaps get some external evaluation? should this area of the site be private? and is this discussion too cumbersome for the rest of the site? or not??

finally, i've contacted node.london about how their social software/tools have been working so far, i'll post when i get this info. i think it would be good to make links with them and share our findings.

--

Gini
SPACE Media Arts

login to post comments
Hellooo;) RE: node

Hellooo;)

RE: node london
great - it would be interesting to hear what they have to say, though their audience is going to be very different to this one.

RE: Is this discussion too cumbersome for the rest of the site? or not? should it be private?
I don't think so, but perhaps its not my place to say!!

--

login to post comments
Yup, I think you're right,

Yup, I think you're right, on all counts.:)
Are there any other Drupal sites which you think work particularly well?

Also, links, RSS feeds etc are all good and great ways to get people involved etc and I'm in agreement about things feeling hidden, which was also my experience when I returned to the site.

In terms of look and feel, it was really good to be back on the site and I've had very positive feedback from people about this. There was a kind of lovely echo of Performing Rights in June.

In general, I think the site needs minor repointing in terms of focus post the PSi conference and events programme. Also, I'd like to think about the fusion of different levels of proximity, or perhaps how it has worked for us/this so far. There are some interesting comments relating to this from posts from the Panic Buttons event.

--

Gini
SPACE Media Arts

login to post comments
RE: I think you're right, on

RE: I think you're right, on all counts.:)
Ahhh!! thats always nice;)

RSS feeds: There are currently many hidden feeds on the site which could be opened up (all categories have RSS but this is perhaps not so useful while the site is small). The most useful in the short term is a feed for new comments feed://www.performingrightslibrary.org/crss. Apart from that, I need to setup a feed for ALL new content. Strangely Drupal isn't setup for this by default, so i'll have to spend some time creating a workaround.

Other Drupal sites: hmm... a tricky one one as this is a particular type of site & difficult to compare + you can configure Drupal to act like most sites out there. The following aren't necessarily all Drupal sites but they have collaborative bits that I like about them which encompass one or more of the following elements: Usability, Design, Functionality, Sense of community:
www.processing.org | www.last.fm | www.drupal.org | www.we-make-money-not-art.com | www.blip.tv | www.creativebits.org | www.hackaday.com | www.urban75.org

Each has a different remit, reflected by their choice of technologies which tend to be biased toward a blog or forum style. We sit somewhere in between and I certainly feel a bit un-decided as what we should be. "repointing in terms of focus" would really help to determine how elements should be re-designed and which technologies should be emphasised i.e. is the ability for users to create their own personal collection of links & images etc truly useful, or should we concentrate on the development of an overall, collaboratively developed resource?

I'm really wanting a mission statement here...

--

login to post comments
Just had another thought

Just had another thought that perhaps we went too big, too quickly, when in fact it is best to start small & grow from that base. i.e. what are the core requirements of this site? & which technologies can help us achieve that aim? which should always came second....

--

login to post comments